Focaccia is one of the most satisfying things you can make; we’re talking low input, high reward. Crispy at the base, fluffy in the centre and still warm from the oven: nothing beats making it at home.
This recipe serves up to four people, and is ultra-simple with flour, salt and high-quality olive oil being the three crucial ingredients.
If you’re keen to jazz it up, try adding in mortadella, some mozzarella or burrata and a pinch of freshly crushed pistachio.
For a super-fast version, you can even skip the entire proving stage and go from mixing the dough, right to baking. Stretch the dough into the tray, dress with olive oil and rosemary and pop it straight into a cold oven. Set it to 180ºC and let it bake for around 30mins. The dough will prove as the oven heats up.
2 tbls. extra virgin olive oil (plus extra for brushing)
1 tsp. kosher salt
7g instant yeast
Sprig of rosemary
Maldon sea salt flakes
Your choice of filling. Try:
1. Combine flour, kosher salt and olive oil in a bowl.
2. Slowly add the water and mix vigorously with a fork*
3. Add the yeast and mix into a dough, making sure to work out any lumps. 4. It should come together as ball on your fork.
4. Place the dough ball into a large oiled bowl and cover. Leave to prove for 1 hour**
5. Place the dough on a lined tray and delicately stretch into a long oval shape.
6. Using your fingers, softly press little dimples into the dough.
7. Brush with a good amount of olive oil and season with rosemary and a sprinkle of salt flakes.
8. Stand for 30 mins**
9. Put the tray into a 180ºC oven***
10. Bake for 20-30 mins or until golden on top.
11. Remove the focaccia from the oven and let it rest for 5-10 mins.
*You can use a stand mixer for steps 2 and 3. Be sure to use the dough hook attachment.
**Skip these steps if you’re going for the super-fast method.
***Don’t preheat the oven for the super-fast recipe.