Gourmet kitchen gurus Miele have enlisted leading chef Mark Rawlins to man their spectacular steam ovens and advise home cooks on nutritious and delicious meals during these unusual times. Using his experience honed in Michelin star restaurants and local eateries, Rawlins will next week appear live on Miele’s Facebook page, as well as uploading recorded tutorials to up your cooking game. Just look out for the list of ingredients required every Friday and prepare to impress the family with four recipes each week.
In the meantime we have a sneak preview of what’s on offer with a dessert recipe that focuses on tantalising your tastebuds. This steamy Banana Tarte Tatin is almost as pleasurable to say as it is to eat. Follow Rawlins’ lead, get set and go.
Banana Tarte Tatin with Milk Chocolate Sauce
Serves 6 – 8
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Cooking Program: Miele Moisture plus oven, Miele Steamer
100g brown sugar
750g puff pastry, store bought
6 – 8 bananas, yellow with no brown spots, sliced 2cm thick rounds
100g milk chocolate
Ice cream of choice
1. Add butter and sugar to an 26cm ovenproof frying pan and heat on induction setting 6 until bubbling and then continue cooking for 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
2. With pre-rolled pastry, layer the sheets on top of each other and roll to a size that overlaps the frying pan. Cut to size. Rest in the fridge for 10 minutes.
3. Arrange the bananas in the pan until full.
4. Place pastry over the bananas and tuck down into the base of the pan, make a couple of slits in the middle of the pastry for steam to escape.
5. Place the frying pan in the oven and select Moisture Plus at 180°C on Fan Plus and bake for 30 minutes, releasing a burst of steam immediately, until a deep golden crust has developed.
6. Allow to cool for 5 minutes then place a large plate that covers the frying pan on top and flip over, be careful of any caramel by using a tea towel to protect yourself.
1. Add chocolate and cream to a glass bowl and cover with foil.
2. Steam at 65c for 20 minutes then stir to combine, alternatively heat in 30 second bursts in the microwave until melted. keep warm.
Add your ice cream of choice.