Have you put your hand up to host this festive season? If so, ensure you have a toolbox of simple but stunning recipes that are a cinch to make but pack a seriously flavoursome punch. Helping you in your hosting pursuits, we have found a foolproof recipe for a timeless dessert — crème brûlée — created by our friend Polly Markus of @misspollyskitchen, finished with a unique twist of Infiniment Double Espresso from Nespresso’s Festive Collection, for added depth and flavour.
“Nespresso is known for its high-quality coffee,” Markus says, “I wanted to create a recipe that I could easily make for my family and friends this festive season, and I can confirm this one will be on high rotation in my household now.”
6, ½ cup capacity, oven-proof ramekins
1 tsp cinnamon
80ml Nespresso Infiniment Double Espresso topped up with 20ml hot water
6 egg yolks
60g caster sugar
6x extra tsp caster sugar to coat the top of the brulées
Time to make:
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
Set time: 6 hours — overnight
1. Preheat the oven to 150°C fan bake.
2. Place the cream and cinnamon into a saucepan. Simmer on a medium/low heat until almost boiling.
3. Extract one Nespresso Infiniment Double Espresso capsule (80ml) and top with 20ml hot water. Add this to the saucepan with the cream.
4. Strain the cream mix through a sieve into a large mixing bowl.
5. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg yolks and sugar, until pale and thick. Now add the cream mixture and stir well.
6. Strain the mixture into six small overproof ramekins. Place the ramekins into a deep baking tray. Pour boiling water around the ramekins until the water is halfway up the ramekins.
7. Bake for 45 minutes or until they’re just set. They will wiggle slightly in the middle.
8. Remove from the oven tray, cool, cover and refrigerate for six hours or ideally overnight.
9. Just before serving — dust cups with one teaspoon of sugar, then using a blow torch, carefully heat the sugar until it starts to bubble and caramelise, changing to a light brown colour.
10. Serve with a cup of Nespresso Infiniment Double Espresso as a flat white.