A classic from kitchen whizz Miss Polly’s Kitchen, this warming broth is filled to the brim with umami flavours. Incorporating healthy vegetables, slurp-worthy noodles and convenient store-bought dumplings, this recipe can easily be tweaked to suit what fresh ingredients you have on hand.
Dumpling Noodle Soup Recipe
12 store-bought dumplings (pork and prawn recommended)
200g fresh egg noodles
2 tsp light olive oil
4 cloves of garlic, grated
½ tsp dried chilli flakes
1 tbsp of sesame oil
1 tbsp of miso paste
2 tbsp tomato paste
½ eggplant, chopped
1 zucchini, chopped
10 button mushrooms, quartered
2.5 cups vegetable stock
2.5 cups of water
1 tbsp of mirin
2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
2 ½ tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp fish sauce
A handful of spinach, finely sliced
A sprinkle of toasted sesame seeds
1 spring onion, sliced
1. Prepare and chop the vegetables, ready for cooking.
2. Heat a large pot on medium heat and add a good splash of oil.
3. Using a zester, grate the garlic into the pot, add the chilli flakes followed by the sesame oil, miso paste and tomato paste and cook for 5 minutes.
4. Now, add the eggplant to the paste mix and stir, ensuring the eggplant is covered with the paste and cook for a further 5 minutes.
5. At the same time, in another pot, bring water to the boil and add the eggs, cook for 6 minutes — once cooked, let them cool for a few minutes and carefully remove the shell.
6. Add the mushrooms to the large pot, mixing this with the eggplant for a minute.
7. Then add all of the remaining liquids — stock, water, mirin, rice wine vinegar, soy sauce and fish sauce. Simmer for 12 minutes.
8. Toss the frozen dumplings into the broth and cook further 8 minutes.
9. Meanwhile, cook your noodles in a separate pot. Once cooked, drain and serve.
To serve: Place the raw zucchini in the bottom of the bowl with the finely sliced spinach, add the noodles and the dumplings with the vegetable broth. Slice your boiled egg in half to add to the bowl, then sprinkle with sesame seeds and sliced spring onions.
Note: You can add any other vegetables that you have in the fridge, or substitute the dumplings for some prawns.