Based on appearances alone, it’s trifle that takes the proverbial cake when it comes to wow factor at any dinner table. The infinite layers of cream, colourful fruit and sponge are impossible to not marvel at and obsess over, making it a go-to for the festive season when the hosting stakes are high.
However, as much as we (adults) love a traditionally boozy iteration, we can’t say the same for the littles — who deserve to enjoy this delectable sweet treat as much as we do. So, here, we’ve discovered a booze-free recipe that is equally as divine, and perfect for the whole family.
Cookie Dough Trifle Recipe
Feeds 8 to 10 People
350g of Lewis Road Creamery unsalted butter, softened
350g of soft brown sugar
1 tbsp of vanilla extract
300g crushed digestive biscuits
1½ tsp of salt
80ml of Lewis Road Creamery Organic Homogenised milk
250g of good quality mini chocolate chips
175g of good quality mini chocolate chips, plus more for topping
350ml of Lewis Road Creamery Premium Double Cream, whipped
8 chocolate chip cookies from our recipe, or Moustache, plus more for topping
300g of Whittaker’s 72% Dark Ghana chocolate, roughly chopped
3 eggs, room temperature
60g of caster sugar
1 tbsp of dutch-processed cocoa powder, sifted
300ml of Lewis Road Creamery Premium Double Cream
1. Start off with making your chocolate pudding by melting your chocolate in a heatproof bowl over simmering hot water (don’t let the bowl touch the water). Once the chocolate is melted, let it cool.
2. As it’s cooling, take a separate bowl and beat together the eggs and sugar with an electric mixer for 5 minutes or until mixture is pale, thick and doubled in volume. Fold in cocoa powder and cooled chocolate until combined.
3. In a separate bowl, whip the double cream until thickened (be careful not to over-beat). Use a large metal spoon to carefully fold the cream into the chocolate mixture, trying to keep the mixture as light as possible. Set aside as you make the other components for the trifle.
4. In a large bowl, beat the butter, brown sugar, and vanilla with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Fold in the digestives biscuits, salt, and milk, then incorporate the chocolate chips. Crumble it up and pour a third of the mixture into the bottom of a trifle dish to act as the base.
5. Make the whipped cream layer by mixing the chocolate chips and whipped cream. Pour ⅓ of the mixture on top of the cookie dough in the trifle dish and top the whipped cream layer with a layer of chocolate chip cookies. You can make our delicious chocolate chip cookie recipe, but any cookies will do just fine.
6. Take your cooled pudding mixture and pour ⅓ of it on top of the layer of chocolate chip cookies.
7. Repeat layers until you’ve reached the top of the dish.
8. Cover the entire trifle with remaining whipped cream. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours, to soften the cookie layers as the cream and pudding seeps its way through. Finish it with a sprinkle of chocolate chips and crumbled cookie pieces before serving.
Enjoy!Image credit: Delish