Ah tacos, how we love you. Any food that gives us a valid excuse to don sombreros and throw back tequila is a winner in our books. And beyond the fun rituals that accompany this traditionally-Mexican food, tacos are universally tasty — made so by virtue of the fact that each one can be made to suit individual tastes. In this recipe (one of our favourites) fish is used as a light base for the taco filling, while a focus on fresh, organic ingredients render the morsels healthy enough to justify a second margarita (or third.)
Makes enough for six tacos.
1/2 cup Chantal Organics coconut milk
Juice of one lime
1 teaspoon of Chantal Organics red chilli powder
1/2 teaspoon of Chantal Organics sea salt
Approx. 350 grams of fresh snapper
1/4 cup of mayo
Juice of 1 lime
2 tablespoons of Chantal Organics red chilli powder
A handful of freshly chopped coriander
Half a purple cabbage, shredded
1 avocado, sliced
1 large mango, peeled and cut into 1cm pieces
1/2 cup coriander, chopped
1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
1 packet of grape tomatoes, halved
1 fresh chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
Lime juice and salt to taste
Avocado and lime dressing (optional):
1 glove garlic
1/2 lime, squeezed
1/4 teaspoon of Chantal Organics sea salt
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup greek yoghurt
1/4 cup water
1 pack of Tio Pablo Authentic corn tortillas
1. Whisk the coconut milk, lime juice, chilli powder, and salt together.
2. Add the snapper until evenly coated before placing in the fridge to marinate for 20 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, prepare the slaw by mixing the mayo, lime juice and coriander. Then throw in the shredded cabbage and season with salt and pepper to taste.
4. To make the avocado and lime dressing, blitz in a food processor until smooth. You can store this in an air-tight mason jar in the fridge for up to 5 days.
5. Heat olive oil in a non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Remove the snapper from the marinade and pan fry until opaque, approximately 3 to 5 minutes per side. Let rest for 5 minutes before flaking for a fork.
6. To assemble the tacos, serve the snapper over lightly grilled tortillas with the slaw and avocado. Add a generous squeeze of lime juice and garnish with the mango salsa and coriander.
Chantal Organics is available from Huckleberry.