Remember cauliflower pizza? It’s still delicious. This nifty alternative first appeared on our radar in 2015, becoming the food trend you simply had to try — and for good reason. The low-carb crust was both crispy and cheesy, while also sturdy enough to ferry your favourite toppings to your eagerly awaiting tastebuds. This recipe makes it easy to revisit this clever creation, whether you’re gluten-free or simply want to try something a little lighter.
700g cauliflower (approx 1 medium head)
1 egg whisked
50g grated parmesan
40g grated mozzarella
Tomato paste or passata
Sicilian pitted olives
Spicy chorizo slices
Thyme sprigs or chopped basil
1. Heat oven on fan bake at 215°C.
2. Blitz cauliflower florets in a food processor until it resembles the consistency of breadcrumbs.
3. Place chopped florets into a microwave safe bowl and bake for 7-8 minutes until the cauliflower is very tender. Drain the excess moisture with a sieve, pushing the liquid out with a wooden spoon until it is mostly dry before allowing it to cool on paper towels.
4. In a bowl, whisk the egg and combine the finely grated parmesan, mozzarella and season to taste, add in the dry cauliflower and stir (note, if it is too dry, add another egg).
5. Once combined, pat the mixture into the pan, and bake for 5-10 minutes before adding desired toppings and cooking for a further 10-15 minutes.