Leave it to our forever favourite, Miss Polly’s Kitchen, to come up with an innovative and seasonal take on our favourite dessert. Using any leftover buns (we haven’t been able to get enough of them this year), this Hot Cross Bun Tiramisu marries the festive flavours of Easter with the necessary caffeine hit to get us through the holidays. Delicious.
6 chocolate hot cross buns
1 & 3/4 cups strong coffee, cold
1/4 cup Kahlua
1/3 cup white sugar
1 tsp vanilla paste
250g room temperature mascarpone
Cocoa to dust
20 x 20cm dish
1. Slice the loaf of hot cross buns horizontally. Then each bun into three fingers.
2. Mix the cold coffee and Kahlua together. Set aside.
3. Using an electric mixer, mix the cream, slowly adding in the sugar and vanilla until you have soft peaks. Gently fold in the mascarpone.
4. Dip the hot cross bun pieces into the coffee mix, turning so both sides get a good coat. Place half onto the bottom of the dish. Smear half the cream mix on top and then repeat. Using a spatula make sure the cream is nice and flat.
5. Using some ribbon or cardboard make crosses over the dish then dust generously with cocoa powder.
6. Leave in the fridge for about 3 hours. This hot cross bun tiramisu is best when shared.