A good schnitzel is hard to beat — there’s something about the simplicty of golden, crispy crumbed chicken breast that’s both comforting and inherently nostalgic. This recipe from Miss Polly’s Kitchen includes a deliciously crunchy fennel, apple and spinach salad, perfect for adding a virtuous touch of greenery to your plate.
Chicken schnitzel recipe
2x 200g chicken breasts
1/3 cup flour, seasoned
1 egg, beaten
1 ½ cups panko crumbs
1 cup grated Parmesan
2 tsp fresh thyme
50g bag of spinach, thinly sliced
1 green apple, thinly sliced and then chopped into matchsticks
1/2 large fennel bulb, thinly sliced with a mandolin
1/2 cup parsley, chopped
Juice of 1 big lemon
Good splash of extra virgin olive oil
1 heaped tbsp Best Foods mayonnaise or Greek yoghurt
Salt and pepper
1. Carefully butterfly the chicken breast. Place between two sheets of glad wrap and flatten with a rolling pin or a heavy pan.
2. Put the seasoned flour on a shallow plate, the egg in another and then the panko, Parmesan and thyme in another.
3. Dip the flattened chicken breast into the flour, egg and then press down into the panko mix.
4. Chop all the salad ingredients and mix well with the lemon juice, extra virgin olive oil and mayo or yoghurt and capers if you wish. Season.
5. In a medium-hot pan shallow fry the schnitzel with some oil and butter, roughly two and a half to three minutes per side.
6. Serve while hot with the salad and a wedge of lemon.