While this recipe is certainly a labour of love, we promise it’s worth the time, effort and energy. Liv Glazebrook of Kitchen of Treats has adapted this scroll recipe from a Little & Friday favourite, creating a scroll that boasts spiced caramel, decadent brioche and crunchy walnuts. Serve while warm for a truly heavenly treat.
NB: Before you get started, both the dough and caramel need to be made the day before, and you’ll need a breadmaker.
Kitchen of Treats Cinnamon Scroll Recipe
Dough (Adapted from Little & Friday)
225ml Lewis Road Creamery full-fat milk
1 ½ tsp instant dried yeast
3 cups flour
1 tsp salt
¼ cup caster sugar
2 small eggs, whisked
75g Lewis Road Creamery lightly salted butter, softened
1 cup caster sugar
90g lightly salted butter, cubed into small squares
½ cup Lewis Road Creamery cream
1 tsp salt
3 tsp cinnamon (you can add more depending on your tastes)
1 cup walnuts, chopped
Egg wash (1 egg mixed with 1 tbsp milk)
1. Warm milk over stovetop/in the microwave until lukewarm.
2. Add yeast and stir well.
3. Place flour, salt and sugar in a breadmaker and add the milk/yeast mix, whisked eggs and butter.
4. Start breadmaker on dough setting.
5. Once finished, tip into a floured bowl, cover with cling film and place in the fridge overnight.
Spiced caramel filling
1. Heat sugar in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly with a rubber spatula.
2. Sugar will form clumps and melt into a thick, brown liquid as you continue to stir.
3. Once sugar is melted, immediately add the butter. Be careful as the caramel will bubble and steam.
4. Stir butter into the caramel until is it completely melted — be patient, this can take a few minutes.
5. While stirring, add the cream in a very slow drizzle.
6. Allow the mixture to boil for 30 seconds without stirring.
7. Remove from heat and stir in salt and cinnamon. Allow to cool completely.
To put them together
1. Line a large round baking tin or rectangular tin with baking paper.
2. Remove brioche dough from the fridge and allow it to reach room temperature.
3. Empty the brioche dough onto a floured bench and gently roll it out into a large rectangle so the longer side is facing you (continue to sprinkle the bench with flour if it is too sticky).
4. Spread with salted caramel then sprinkle with additional cinnamon, brown sugar (optional) and chopped walnuts.
5. Roll up the dough into a log, starting from the longest side closest to you. Slice it into even pieces with a serrated knife, about 4cm wide.
6. Gently place the scrolls in the baking tin. Leave in a warm place for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 180°C.
7. Make the egg wash by beating together 1 egg and a tablespoon of milk. Just before baking, lightly brush the tops and sides of each scroll with the egg wash.
8. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Best served warm.