19 May 2012
the essential winter hand creams
Combat dry claws with our pick of the best hand pampering treats.
Cracked hands and ragged cuticles are winter’s uninvited (but almost guaranteed) guests when it comes to the change of season. Cold weather and dry indoor heat inevitably leaves hands looking dried-out and wrinkly during winter, but reapplying moisturiser can be rather annoying – often getting in the way of daily chores or simply neglected in avoidance of greasy fingerprints.
From some tried and true favourites, to the super luxe and the unusual, here is our pick of the best products we have found to slot effortlessly into our beauty routines without fuss. Just enough to adequately moisturise without any annoying residue, these will help restore your hands to their soft, former glory.
1. Talika Hand Therapy Gloves from Mecca Cosmetica – These unique gel lined gloves, worn 3 – 4 times a week for 45 minutes (or even overnight for extra hand TLC) release a mix of strong moisturising agents to nourish and smooth the skin’s surface, helping to reduce age spots and wrinkles. www.meccacosmetica.co.nz
2. La Mer The Hand Treatment – Worth its weight in gold, this deeply penetrating and luxe formulation is so hydrating that it really only needs to be used once or twice a day. The silky treatment instantly relieves dryness, and restores circulation and is equally as effective when used on heels, elbows and cuticles too. www.lamer.co.nz
3. Clarins Hand and Nail cream. The ubiquitous Hand and Nail treatment from Clarins is hard to beat with its delicious scent and fast absorbing formula. This hard working tube works its magic on strengthening nails as well as softening hands. www.clarins.com
4. Aesop Perfected Moisturising Balm – A super non-greasy cream that is so hydrating, we suspect it would transform even the toughest of builders hands. Like all Aesop products, the delightful scent would probably sell you alone. Available from World Beauty www.worldbrand.co.nz
5. Neutrogena Norwegian Hand Cream – At under $15, this pharmacy gem is hard to beat if you’re looking to stock up on supplies. The highly concentrated hand cream is loaded with 40% Glycerin, which penetrates deep into the skin to prevent moisture loss and helps to promote skin repair. www.neutrogena.co.nz